Over the years I’ve come up with a few ways to practise without really practising. Whether you’re hiding your faith from parents or school yard sceptics, financially unable to splurge on “needed” resources or like me - just have very little time! - there is bound to be something amongst the following you hadn’t thought of or something you can incorporate into your everyday living.
The Journal aka Book of Shadows | As you should know the B.O.S has negative connotations and isn’t a book of “evil spells” but in fact a personal resource kept secret or “in the shadows”. I currently have ten journals and counting that contain both everyday and work related scribblings as well as thoughts and spiritual research (that I transfer to my main one later). The two keys to maintaining this tool in secret is to…
- Keep it portable - a notebook you can pop into your handbag or laptop case and carry with you wherever you go. That way whenever you have a thought or realisation or can get it down on paper. A5 moleskin diaries are perfect - they have pockets for found natural objects, scraps of paper etc and quality paper to stick in images and magazine tears for inspiration.
- Keep it quaint - If you’re trying to hide your B.O.S it’s probably not a good idea to put Book Of Shadows or associated materials on the cover of your journal. I know it can important to feel as though you identify in all aspects with the craft as much as possible in your early years but the real magick is in you not the fancy “witchy” things you have. And if you try and hide it whenever someone is about just makes people want to investigate - so be casual.
- Having something is important - a B.O.S, a daily diary, a notebook, a dream journal, a goals diary, blog, whatever! It is important to have something in which you can verbalise your thoughts and feelings - which often inspires new thoughts, feelings and discoveries.
Exercise | This can be yoga, going for a jog, a gym workout or even school fitness. Now hear me out! When you participate in a physical activity you build up and exert energy. Exercise on top of its physical benefits increases endorphins which is why you feel so good after a decent workout. Exercising also puts you in a fresh head space. Imagine how much energy can be put into an affirmation or spell if you combine the physical energy built up during exercising with the energy you would put into building your sphere or sacred space and ultimately your spell? The essentials are there, you just need a pair of runners!
- Exercise outdoors and you’re in the purest of spaces - all the elements surround you. Fresh air fills your lungs. The sights and smells of nature - grass, ground, trees, leaves, ants, birds etc. The sun or moon shining down upon you or maybe the energy of a storm or incoming rain brewing instead. Get back to basics and get back to nature.
- The mind is powerful - think about the intention of the spell, the parties involved, the current feelings, visualisations of your intention incorporated to your life, maybe repeat an affirmation over and over and when you’re at you’re limit release it all. Let it all go and send your spell out into the Universe - even if that means falling on the grass. I promise you will sleep like a baby that night.
- Yoga almost embodies everything about Paganism and Wicca. It uses your mind, your body and your breathe to connect with yourself and to connect with the Universe. For adults or those open to new experiences then pole fitness is a surprising way to connect with yourself, your sensuality, your inner strength and physical strength. Don’t roll your eyes - think about it, it makes sense!
- No sceptical parent will argue with fresh air and exercise, come on! And you can look forward to P.E knowing you can use this time for your spellworking while just appearing to be focusing on the fitness. Who knows it might positively influence your report card! It really is as easy as going for a walk, a jog on the beach or busting it out at the gym.
Tea is cool | In recent years tea and tisanes and the many, many variations of them have become increasingly popular. I love tea! Be armed with a little herbal knowledge and you can pick out teas with elements that can benefit your particular spell. Or some tea boutiques have readily available assortments for hang-over remedies, detoxing, mood enhancers, sleep enhancers and more! All as close to organic and certifiabilly organic as possible.
- Create a tea ritual - Find a teapot (your cauldron!) and teacup that calls to you. Read up on available teas or purchase some cheesecloth and make you’re own! Maybe turn your usual morning “cup of joe” into a ritual that sets you up for an amazing day!
- Tea is meant to be shared - Make your own tea and give your friends and family some as a gift. Spread the positive and personalised love and vibes around! Or make a special tea for a guest with an ailment and watch their quickened recovery.
- Think of tea as herbs, flowers, fruits and spices. And think of it as magickal brew. Tea is anything that contains actual tea leaves in it. A tisane is anything prepared in the fashion of tea but doesn’t actually contain tea leaves.